Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Misplaced

If you have ever moved, you realize that some things will inevitably get lost in the shuffle. If you have ever moved during the spring or summer months, you just know that your winter garb will be difficult to find once the weather turns freezing in December. When we brought our stuff to Houston last March, we purposely did not take any of our cold weather clothing because, regardless of what the Texans think, it does not actually get cold down there. Not for any extended period of time anyway. If you try to convince the southerners that temperatures in the 50s are not hat & glove weather, though, they will laugh at you.

Anyhow, I vaguely remember seeing my heavy coats, gloves, and boots here in our condo as recently as October. I wish that I had put them aside somewhere obvious because, despite how much I search, I cannot locate them. I refuse to buy new gloves when I already own about fifteen pairs. And I really hope to come across my boots - yes, I have two pairs of those somewhere, too - before the snow starts to fly.

In Houston the other day, Jim was returning home from a jog when he stopped to chat with the couple next door who were outside decorating their yard with Christmas lights. Jim was wearing his running shorts & a t-shirt. He said that the neighbors were bundled up in long pants and sweaters, and the man had on a winter hat. I couldn't stop laughing as I visualized Mack sporting a ski cap in 58 degree weather. Neither Jacob nor I have even donned gloves yet here in Michigan, even though our temps have dipped into the upper teens. (Ok, maybe we would have if we knew where they were.) At any rate, I hope it stays seasonal in Texas this winter because I certainly don't want my precious tropical palms or my banana tree to suffer any damage from frost. I like it when temperatures remain near their averages. Adam - can you arrange that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting both cars in the garage (before they got lost in the shuffle!)