Monday, March 10, 2008

Yoopers Rule!

On Saturday, we were eating breakfast at Denny’s when a large group of high school boys strolled into the restaurant. We were surprised to discover that the kids were the Calumet Copper Kings hockey team. We went over to say hello to the coaches, who informed us that they were in town to compete against Flint for the state high school championship hockey title that afternoon. Jim, Adam, Jacob, Nancy, Richie, and I decided to attend the game. Lots of people had driven down from Calumet - hundreds, as a matter of fact. The game was thrilling and action-packed, and the Copper Kings ended up winning in overtime. We were waiting in line afterwards to buy t-shirts, and the team members began emerging from the locker room to mingle with family and friends. The coaches remembered us from Denny’s and chatted with us again. I enjoyed that game more than I have any other this season. And, between the Red Wings, Whalers, and U of M, I have actually gone to eight or nine games this year, so, obviously, I have vast experience when it comes to recognizing an exciting hockey game when I see one. Jim says the game probably seemed more entertaining to me than usual because they were playing for a championship title. Maybe. I’m just happy that Calumet won!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOWZA!! Go Calumet Copper Kings!! As an alum, I sure wish I was there. I've been bombarded by email from classmates all over the country. Amazing that you guys would bump into the team....perhaps you were their good like charm. The grandson (Lauren Rastello) of one of my old buddies (Reid Rastello) scored the winning goal on his own rebound from what I understand. YOWZA!!

Anonymous said...

Oops...I meant good LUCK charm!!

Anonymous said...

And...now you're in the Daily Mining Gazette photo journal! Famous!

Anonymous said...

http://cu.mininggazette.com/pages/photo_page.php?gallery=296687&mm=1523935

Hopefully this link works! If not, I emailed the link to you from the Gazette website. YOWZA!