Tuesday, January 22, 2008

What's Next?

My mother-in-law is still in the hospital. On Monday, her Case Worker told us she would probably be released in a day or two. Yikes! She is in need of respiratory therapy and things of that nature. So, even if we wanted her to go home, she would require some sort of rehab to gain back her strength, and training to learn how to use her oxygen machine, etc. In addition, her memory is currently sketchy, at best. Luckily, Jim was off work Monday, so we were able to race around town and inspect some temporary skilled-care facilities.

Jim left for Calgary this morning and things really started getting fun. Bob called and said Bev had been frantically phoning Debbie complaining that she was being taken to surgery. I was, of course, skeptical, and contacted the nurse’s desk. We had been informed yesterday that she had a Doppler test and angiogram of her neck, and has a carotid artery that is 90% blocked. This morning the doctor had simply informed her that she should have surgery to fix it. All he did was talk to her, but she misunderstood and assumed she was on her way to the operating room. Anyway, since I am now the official medical advocate, I had to talk to the doctor. I had to talk to the nurse. I had to talk to the family. I had to actually arrange this surgery. On Wednesday I will have to sign the consent forms. I will have to inform her friends. And notify the skilled-care facility that she will not be there in a day or two as anticipated. Oh, and she wants a new pair of pajamas. With pockets. Tomorrow.

I had a doctor appointment at 1:20 today for my routine blood pressure and cholesterol checks. Amazingly, everything went fairly well. My blood pressure was only slightly elevated!

I might also mention that our freaking furnace went out this morning. We have been having trouble with it for a few months, but hoped if we continued to ignore the problems, they would just go away. Long story short – we have a new furnace tonight.

No comments: