Friday, May 29, 2009

The Flood

Late this afternoon, I tossed a load of laundry into the washing machine right before I left the house. When I returned home, I was dismayed to find that the laundry tub drain was obviously plugged, and water had overflowed out of the tub and onto the floor. I was somewhat relieved to see that it had not trickled too far into the kitchen, and assumed that the rug in the laundry room had done a good job of soaking up most of the water. I only had a few minutes to spare, as I was on my way to Norm's pizzeria, so I strategically placed some towels on the floor before I left again. I was certain that Jim wouldn't mind throwing a few soggy rugs and towels outside to dry when he arrived home from work.

Well, apparently there was a reason that there was not too much water in the laundry room. Most of it had gushed through the floor and into the basement. I never thought to peek down there, but that was the first thing Jim did when he encountered the initial mess upstairs. Oops. It didn't really hurt that our ski equipment was wet, but numerous household items, like mattresses, bed frames, tables, and wrapping supplies were soaked. And our camping equipment. There were also huge puddles of standing water on the basement floor, but neither Jim nor Jacob thought to take any pictures of the debris. They worked all night to clean everything, and now we have numerous damp items scattered throughout the house to dry. I was amazed to see the mayhem that a bit of water could create, and it just makes me thankful that we don't live in an area of the country that experiences natural flooding on a regualr basis.

No comments: