Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Slight Setback - Take 2

The suture tape that I had on my previously stitched finger finally came off Monday morning. The nurse practitioner had assured me that it would simply fall off in five days. It lasted eight. Suture tape is a secure material. It’s like the super glue of the tape world. It seemed to be fastened more firmly to my knuckle than the stitches had been. When at long last it loosened and fell off, I was ecstatic. I sooo looked forward to bending that finger and showering without a glove again. I glanced excitedly down at my hand, and discovered that the CUT WAS STILL OPEN. It looked exactly like it did the day the stitches were removed. Neither the stitches nor the suture tape had successfully closed the gash. As a result, the splint must remain on, and the laceration has to stay clean and dry until it heals naturally. Which could be . . . who knows how long? I think I may just be walking around with a gaping wound on my finger for a long time. Which wouldn’t be all that horrible – I’m certainly used to it – except we are going skiing and that metal splint gets freezing cold whenever I am outside, and, consequently, it turns my entire hand into an ice cube. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a plastic finger splint?

No comments: