Thursday, February 14, 2008

According to Jim

Jim and I don’t really “celebrate” Valentine’s Day. We don’t even exchange cards. We agreed long ago – maybe when greeting cards became more expensive than paperback books – that there was no sense in spending money on something that would be tossed into the trash within a week. (Aww, the romance . . .) The boys do, or, in Adam’s case, did, pass out cute little cards and eat heart-shaped candies on February 14th. Overall, though, it is merely a regular day around our house. Given that I have recently started blogging, however, you are now unfortunately all too aware of my humdrum, valentine-less existence. Just so you realize that Jim and I do sometimes partake in thrilling tête-à-têtes, I recently queried him and recorded his answers for your, um, holiday entertainment.

Do you remember our first date? Yeah, we went to that brunch. (Right! It was an annual holiday brunch arranged by a group of his friends. I had to suggest to him that he invite me, though.)
How about our second date? A movie – “Beverly Hills Cop.” (Right again! Impressive.)
When did we get engaged, and where? At Tahquamenon Falls, in August sometime. (Yup, August 16, 1985 to be exact.)
What time did our wedding ceremony start? Six o’clock. (His memory is better than I thought.)
What is your favorite food? Pizza
Favorite dessert? Banana Cake
You have a reputation for being, uh, thrifty. Do you believe you are cheap? Yeah, but not in a bad way. I just don’t like throwing money around.
What has been your favorite vacation spot so far? I have liked all of our trips. I liked going to Europe in 2005. And I liked our honeymoon in Europe. (Note to self: He liked Europe enough to mention it twice. That is eye-opening!)
Where would you like to go that we have not been yet? I don’t know. We’ve been everywhere. (Yeah, right.)
Do you remember what time of day Adam was born? 6:12, no wait, 6:13.
Morning or evening? Uh, p.m. (Well, not exactly. It was 5:12 a.m. Adam was listening to us, and was stunned that Jim did not accurately recall his birth time.)
How about Jacob? Ok, he was born at 5:12 p.m. (Jacob was jumping up and down at this point, wanting to help out. Actually, Jacob was born at 6:13 p.m. See the pattern, anyway? 5:12, 6:13. The next child would have been born at 7:14, then 8:15, and so on. A shame that will never happen!)
What was the name of your favorite teacher? I can’t think of any. (Trick question! I knew he’d never be able to come up with a teacher’s name.)
Do you have a favorite actress? Um, no.
Actor? Um, no.
TV show? I’ve liked lots of shows throughout the years. I used to watch MASH. Now I like CSI and NCIS.
Movie? Nope, no favorite. (Jacob suggested Jim choose “Alvin and the Chipmunks.”)
What do you think of Adam’s long hair? Well, it doesn’t bother me, if that’s what you mean. He is old enough to choose his own hairstyle.
What is the one thing I do that annoys you the most? Um . . . well, I can’t think of anything.
C’mon, there must be something? How about spending too much of our hard-earned money? No, not really. I don’t like people who spend money unnecessarily, but you don’t do that. (Whew, off the hook there.)
How about when I plan vacations? Well, sometimes you plan too many vacations. (Too many? What?)
There must be something I do that really, really annoys you. I’m annoyed that you keep bugging and nagging me about this particular question.

So, this is where I stopped. Not exactly earth-shattering material, I suppose. But, see, we can be quite the exhilarating couple when we want to be!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want you guys on my show....

LINDA said...

Do I know you? I love your witty comments!

Anonymous said...

Yes, and thank you! (I do need some fresh material for my show...)