Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rain and Shine

I don't mean to dwell on the weather in all my posts, but - geez - the rain just never stops in southeast Michigan. I'm sure there is a way to check the exact statistics, but I don't think there have been more than five days or so where the sun has been out for any extended period of time this spring. That leaves over 50 days of dismal gray-ness, often with precipitation. There have been a few warm days, though overall, our temperatures have been running around 20 degrees below normal. In April, I was certain that the ever-present clouds would disappear in May and the sun would return. I was wrong.

On the flip side, it never rains at our house in Texas. Each day brings warmth and sunshine, which seemed wonderful until the effects of the resulting drought became apparent. Greenery is turning brown, wild fires are popping up, and ranchers are actually watching their cattle die in their fields from lack of food & water. I'm pretty sure that when hurricane season begins next month, Texas will see at least a few tropical systems move through, which will bring a gullywasher or two to Houston.

I have no idea when Michigan will ever see more than a peek of sunshine, though.

No comments: