Friday, April 15, 2011

No Substitutions

Almost every Saturday morning I go out for breakfast. If I am in Michigan, Jacob and I meet up with Nancy and Richie at a local eatery. If I am in Texas, Jim, Jacob, and I visit some nearby restaurant. One of our favorite places to dine in both states is Denny's.

The $4 "Everyday Value Slam" is one of my preferred breakfast choices. It includes eggs, meat, and pancakes. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of pancakes, so I always ask if I can substitute toast for the flapjacks. Usually my request is granted, no questions asked. One particular waitress at our Michigan Denny's, though, is a stickler for rules and is very adamant about not allowing any substitutions. For me, anyway. When I informed her last weekend that other waitresses in the restaurant have let me switch the pancakes for toast, she gave me a rambling lecture about why she is not able to do it. Sighing, I gave her my alternate breakfast choice, then she turned to Jacob to take his order. He picked a lunch item and told the girl that he did not want the cole slaw that was included with his sandwich. Smiling sweetly, she asked him if he would like a salad instead of the slaw. Huh? Next, Nancy was allowed to substitute hash browns for her pancakes. What?

I wrote to Denny's public relations department last week, but have not heard back from them yet. I certainly understand if their policy states that they cannot offer substitutions (and it does not say so anywhere on the menu), but they should really be more consistent. If I had never been able to get toast in lieu of pancakes, I would have accepted defeat long ago. But, 80% of the time the waitress will happily respond, "No problem at all." And, just for the record, my appeal for toast has not been turned down at our Texas Denny's. Only at our Michigan location.

No comments: