Friday, April 1, 2011

The Grass is Always Greener . . .

When we were in Texas last month, flowers were blooming, trees were green, and grass had to be mowed. Many of our neighbors were already using their air conditioners back in February - which I found to be weird because the weather was perfect for opening windows & enjoying the fresh air. In our 17 months as southern homeowners, one thing we have learned is that people in Houston do not open the windows of their homes. Ever. In Michigan, after enduring cool autumns and downright frigid winters, we look forward to any hint of spring and fling our windows open as soon as the outside temperatures reach 60 or so. And, unless it is over 85 degrees and we need our air on, we keep our windows open through September.

So, it was nice to be able to work in the yard in Texas. In February & March. Wearing shorts. Now I am eager to tend to our tiny garden at the condo. I plan to plant a shrub or two and prepare a new area for my flowers. Unfortunately, the average last frost in southeast Michigan is not until late May, so my annuals will have to wait another 6 or 7 weeks to be planted. The ground is not too frozen anymore, but it is still a bit cold to work in the dirt. Besides, it is supposed to snow tonight! Only an inch or so, but snow nevertheless. I am kind of excited and hope that we get even more of the white stuff than predicted, although most folks around here do not share my enthusiasm. If it is going to be cold and look dreary, I would just as soon see the brown grass covered with pretty white snow.

No comments: