Friday, October 1, 2010

The Harvest

When we were in Texas last month, I picked one of the bananas off our tree to check it out. It was hard as a rock and almost impossible to peel. I had to use a knife to slice it open and once stripped down, the fruit released an odor unlike any banana I have ever smelled. Needless to say, no one wanted to taste the thing. I left it sitting on the outside patio table for a few days and even the bugs and iguanas steered clear. I ended up throwing it into the trash.

Recently I have been reading about harvesting bananas. Apparently there are over five hundred varieties of bananas and I have no clue which type is growing in my yard in Houston. I do have a better idea now of when and how to pick the fruit, so I will give it another try later this month.

I wonder if Jacob would wear one of those banana costumes on Halloween? How cute would that be? I will suggest that to him tomorrow.

Not yet ripe.

At least it looked like a banana on the inside.

No comments: