Thursday, October 14, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

Jacob and I were sitting in the condo the other day when we heard an all-too-familiar thump on our doorwall. We hurried over and noticed that a bird had flown right into the glass of our second-story sliding door. Upon examination, it appeared that this feathered friend was still alive, but either injured or in a state of shock. When I peeked onto the deck later, it was gone, and I was relieved that I woud not have to touch or dispose of any bird remains. Unless, of course, it just tumbled off the balcony onto the patio one floor below, in which case I will come across it the next time I venture out there . . .

Flying creatures used to routinely bump and bounce off the windows at our old house, and it seems as if nothing has changed since we moved. This is the second victim in four months at our condo. Plus we have found at least one dead bird outside of our house in Texas. Does this happen to other people or just to us?

I don't know what kind of bird this latest one was, but it was an attractive little thing.

3 comments:

Adam said...

It hasn't happened to me yet at either my apartment in Ann Arbor or here (at least not that I've noticed). It supposedly has happened at least once to Chris Cornell, since a bird flying into his window is said to be the inspiration for the Soundgarden song "Like Suicide," so it's not just you.

Anonymous said...

I had doorwalls in MI,WI and FL and never had birds fly into them.
Maybe yours are too clean?

LINDA said...

Too clean - that's a good one! I looked up the lyrics to that Soundgarden song. Apparently, I have a lot in common with this Chris Cornell.