Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Enough

Once our wayward luggage showed up at our condo in Colorado, we began to ski - and in Adam's case, snowboard. The weather has been simply perfect and the snow is plentiful. We skied Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday so far, and despite some sore legs (mine), and a few other minor aches & pains (the others), we are feeling pretty fine. Adam's skin has remained blue-free, even though we are at a much higher altitude than we were in Utah, and we are all relieved about that.

On Monday, I was trailing behind Jim, Adam, and Jacob on a ski run when I came across a 30-something girl sitting on the snow grimacing and holding her leg. She had a companion (husband? boyfriend? brother?) with her who explained that they thought her leg was broken, and help was on the way. I skied off. On Tuesday, Jim and I were lagging behind Adam and Jacob when we noticed another 30-something girl perched in the snow on the side of a run. This girl looked very shaken and was holding her chest. We asked if she needed help and she moaned that she needed "something done quickly." We spotted an emergency phone about 50 yards away, so Jim zipped over to call the ski patrol while I waited with the girl. She managed to tell me that she had been skiing through the trees and had smacked right into one. She didn't think that she had hit her head, but her chest felt "gurgly" and she was spitting up blood. A group of medics arrived within five or six minutes and confirmed that she most likely had some sort of internal injury. Moments later a sled showed up to bring her down the mountain and to the medical center. I never did find out what happened to the girl, but I hope she is ok. I don't know if broken ribs or a collapsed lung can cause you to spit up blood, but it was scary enough for me to beg Adam and Jacob never to ski or board through the trees. I know I won't.

Happily, I didn't witness any more crises while out on the slopes today. Who knew one would need a medical degree while out skiing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch!