Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Creatures

Here in the Lone Star State there are lots of critters that we simply don't have in the north. Our exterminator (yep, everyone down here has one) guarantees that we won't find any live bugs in our house. So far, so good with that. I have run across so many gross creatures outside, though, that sometimes I just want to jump in the car and head towards Michigan where at least the insects are familiar. And smaller. Even the spiders here are enormous. And brown, although I haven't encountered a brown recluse yet; I know - I looked that up. Our neighbors have informed us that all of this is just a part of living in the wonderful south. Lovely.

These are called "Palmetto Bugs," which is just a nice name for cockroaches. They are huge.

Here is the lizard head I found on our deck. The picture does not do it justice, as you cannot easily see the feet and claws.

A dead southern bird.

A chameleon. For some reason, I find these guys cute. They eat live bugs, so they aren't so bad to have around.

This is a shot of the very irritating seed things that continue to fall into our pool and hot tub.

2 comments:

ModemMama said...

That's so cool, I loved the little green lizzards too. But the Palmetto Bugs (yeah right, like we don't know they're cockroaches) ew....

Anonymous said...

Palmetto bugs aka German cockroaches! Maybe you'll find some real cockroaches, too. They're bigger!Your little lizards are pretty, more colorful than FL!