Thursday, October 22, 2009

I Felt Like a Dimwit

Jacob and I flew home from Houston this morning. Jim dropped us off at the airport at 5:45 a.m. for our flight. We checked a bag, breezed through security, and were at the gate by 6:05 a.m., one hour before our departure time. After I used the rest room, we moseyed over to McDonald's to grab a bite to eat. The Delta/Northwest terminal at IAH was somewhat quiet, as Houston is the main hub for Continental Airlines, and everyone seemed to be at the Continental part of the airport. We heard a few boarding calls for other Delta/Northwest flights, as well as an announcement that someone had left behind something at the security checkpoint. (It sounded like somebody had forgotten their belt. Duh.) At 6:35 a.m., the gate agent was preparing to start our boarding process. I glanced into my carry-on bag to rearrange some items and noticed that my mini netbook computer was missing. Huh? I shuffled everything around, certain that I had picked it up from the bin after it went through the x-ray scanner. I told Jacob that we better rush back to the security area to see if I had inadvertently left it there. The two of us gathered up all of our things and hustled back to the checkpoint, which, fortunately, was not too far away. Sure enough, I had retrieved the computer from the bin, but left it sitting on a chair when I had stopped to put on my shoes. Some nice person turned it in to the security guard, who had made an announcement trying to find me. (Yes, the same announcement that I only halfway paid attention to earlier. Duh me.) I signed some papers, picked up the netbook, and Jacob and I rushed back to our gate just in time to get on the airplane. I have never felt so stupid in my life.

It was raining hard and lightening in Houston as we took off. Our flight was turbulent, and the sky was completely overcast all the way home, even at 35,000 feet. When the clouds finally broke, we peeked outside and saw this. Notice our house in the lower part of the picture!

Adam returned home from Houston on Tuesday, as he had to be in class Wednesday morning. We did find time to show him the beach in Galveston while he was in Texas.

1 comment:

ModemMama said...

Aw shucks, you're just making me feel better. You are soooo lucky!