Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dental Issues, Continued

On Monday, I had an appointment with my oral surgeon so he could check the site of my recent extraction. Everything apparently looked wonderful, and I don't have to return there until January for my implant. Yesterday, I spent more time in the dentist's chair - two hours to be exact. The tooth that had the root canal last week was ready for a core build-up and crown. After burning away more of my pesky gum, the dentist proceeded to embed a titanium post next to my new, fake root. He added some sort of dental material that would enable a crown to hold tightly to what was left of my original tooth. Numerous gooey molds were placed in my mouth to make impressions. The dentist and the assistant then worked long and hard to create a temporary crown just the right size and shape for me. They were concerned and unhappy that the temp did not match the color of my other teeth exactly. Honestly, the temporary crown is just that - temporary - and will only be in for three weeks while my permanent one is being made at the lab. I assured them that I loved my temp, as it really does look 100% better than the cracked tooth. I walked out of the dentist office with a three week reprieve, as my next appointment is not until early November.

No comments: