Friday, August 21, 2009

Faux Folklore

I have always admired my good friend, Cobra. Whenever we are together, I marvel that she is so knowledgeable about legends and myths and lore - particularly those regarding nature. I never hesitate to pass along her wisdom to others, as every tale she tells is helpful and fascinating. Over the years, Cobra has taught me so many things, like if a such-and-such flower blooms early, then summer will be cool. Or if certain insects are prevalent, then autumn will be mild. Or if there is dew on the grass, there will not be any rain for a particular amount of time. And if this happens, then that will occur. And so on and so on and so on. I cannot even recall how many times I have proudly bragged to others, "Of course that story is true, Cobra told me so."

Something happened this summer that totally shattered my idolization of Cobra.

The two of us were sitting outside one evening when I mentioned that one of her folklore weather phenomena was transpiring right there before our eyes. Cobra looked at me and snickered, "Oh, I just made that up."

"Uh . . . what?"

I was certain that she was joking around, as adult beverages had been flowing for a few hours. I reminded Cobra of how many times she had told me that same story, and she continued laughing, "Nope, I really made it up." I then questioned her regarding the numerous other authentic-sounding tales she had told me in the past, and she admitted that she had fabricated all of them. I was stunned. Just how much false information have I innocently been passing on to other people all these years? If any of it ever comes back to torment me, I will just blame everything on Cobra. She is such a convincing fabricator, though, I wonder if anyone will believe me?

2 comments:

Mongoose said...

Never trust a snake...

ModemMama said...

Such an innocent face too, what a letdown. But she knows how to party and camp so she is forgiven.