Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cobra's Rebuttal and My Own Folklore

I received an email from my friend, Cobra, after she read my latest post. (See "Faux Folklore" below.) In the post, I professed how disappointed I was when Cobra revealed to me that all of the myth and lore tales she has told me over the years were lies. In her recent email, she confessed that she had not made up the stories after all, but had only said that because I was teasing her about them. So, seemingly, all of Cobra's folklore is indeed true, and, in order to avoid further confusion, I will leave it at that!

One of my own favorite folk tales is one that I read in the Old Farmer's Almanac. The article claimed that cows will stand up when the weather is fair, and will sit down if rain is approaching. There were numerous reasons given for this, but the only one I remember is that the cow may be trying to keep the area beneath it dry. Whenever we are on a road trip and see bovine in a pasture, I always take note if they are standing. If only half are standing, I confidently predict a 50% chance of rain. I understand how Cobra might feel about being mocked, though, because Jim and the boys taunt me and laugh at me every single time I make a cow-guided forecast. I must say, however, that the cows are correct well over half of the time. Can Adam beat those odds?

1 comment:

Mongoose said...

I repeat, NEVER trust a snake!