Tuesday, June 9, 2009

You Should Have Seen the One That Got Away

Jacob, Nancy, and I traveled to Delaware last week to visit my nephews. (Nancy's sons) We spent a few days in the northern part of the state with Sean and his family, and then drove to Rehoboth Beach to stay with Carey and his wife & kids. While at Sean's house, we toured both a potato chip factory (yum, warm chips right off the line!) and the QVC home shopping network studio. Jacob spent time volunteering during "field day" at 7-year-old Mandy's elementary school, while Nancy and I attended preschool with 4-year-old Sam one day. Sean also has a beautiful in-ground pool in his backyard, so the kids swam and swam and swam. In Rehoboth, Carey took Jacob and Josh fishing, and they each caught - are you ready for this - thirteen fish! Jacob even hooked a large (over a foot-long) bass, but it got away as he reeled it in. I know that sounds like your typical "fish story," but he did have witnesses! Jacob was just ecstatic, and I'm sure that any of our feeble attempts at fishing this summer will pale in comparison. It is certainly advantageous to have a professional fisherman at your disposal. Despite some wet weather, we also went to the beach at the local state park between raindrops. The highlight of our time with Carey (in my opinion - although I'm certain that Jacob's highlight was the fishing) was his daughter's dance recital on Saturday night. Abey performed in four different numbers in the show, and was extremely good. She is only in first grade this year, so her future as a dancer looks very bright. I hope we can attend her recital again next year.

Herr's factory tour. I have never seen this brand of chips in Michigan.

Jacob and Mandy at the Brandywine River. Those rocks looked frighteningly similar to the boulders where I hurt my ankle in Juneau, AK last year. I stayed far away!

Josh tossed this one back.

One of Jacob's catches.

At the beach.

Tiny dancer.

Josh holding a surprise for his sister after the recital.

No comments: