Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Future Beckons

My niece and nephew each recently became proud owners of new fangled iPhones. From what I’ve seen, these contraptions are indeed quite amazing. They can be used to listen to music, take pictures & videos, surf the internet, update your blog, get directions, and much more. Oh, you can make phone calls, too. I always hoped and dreamed that someday an invention would come along that would enable the internet to be accessed easily from almost anywhere. I know, I know, the technology to do that has been around for a while, but it has really blossomed over the past year or two. Case in point - my own outdated cell phone can snap pictures and log onto the internet, but not nearly as effortlessly or quickly as the iPhone. Plus, I can barely see my miniscule little phone screen, much less read anything that is actually displayed. And, yes, I am often ridiculed by the under-30 crowd for still using an old-fashioned flip phone, which was actually very popular not that long ago. I'll probably always be one step behind! I have been told that these new, revolutionary cell phones are known as “smart” phones. I suppose I will just be stuck with my old, dumb phone until the iPhone becomes obsolete. Then, I can possibly afford one, and the newer generation, “genius” phones or something, will be out. I can only imagine what tasks the next innovative phones will be able to perform.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I think flip phones are still very useful. My old one is currently balancing out the wobbly leg on my night stand.