Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Observations

Today’s presidential election was different from all of the previous ones in which I have participated. A few unusual things occurred. First of all, I wore shorts to the polls. (Ok, they were labeled “shorts” when I purchased them, but since I am short, they actually look like capris on me.) Anyway, our average high temperature for a November day is 48° or so, but today it reached 71°! It actually felt warm outside and I really enjoyed that. I arrived at my voting precinct this morning expecting to wait in a very long line. I brought along my I-Pod and four puzzles to keep me occupied. I was surprised to find myself behind only about 20 other people and was casting my ballot within 10 minutes. Adam came home from school, hurried to the polls, and only waited five minutes to vote. Jim went after work and found there was no line at all. So much for all of the dire warnings about having to endure lengthy lines. That never materialized in our neck of the woods, anyway.

I do remember specifically that in the 2000 presidential election, I did wait in an extremely slow-moving line. The reason that this is still so clear to me is because I was babysitting Jenna and Nick that day, and brought them, as well as Jacob, with me to vote. I vividly recall holding three toddler jackets, so it must have been cold outside, too. It was an interesting hour wait with a 2-year-old, a 3-year-old, and a 4-year-old grabbing at my legs and generally entertaining the otherwise bored crowd. Needless to say, today’s trip to the polls was effortless in comparison.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our family also had expected LONG lines!! But there was NO ONE in line when we all had gone around 4ish....and again when Wayne and I had gone at about 7:30 there was even less people in line then. It was Kim's 1st time to vote, and I had explained that it was by electronic voter machine...But when we got there they had Paper Ballots! It was the craziest thing...I have NEVER voted with a paper ballot. I talked to the poll workers there (since there was no one line, they didn't mind talking) that they said they did have a huge crowd before they opened that morning...So, I guess we played it right. And they had said the paper ballots were because of the big mess up years earlier.

LINDA said...

When is the last time you voted?? We have not used voting machines for almost a decade. Yay, I'm glad that Kim got to vote for her first time!

Anonymous said...

We vote in every presidential election. And the last time was in the Kerry/Bush election when we used the touch screen deals (that was fun). Kim didn't get to vote then, because she didn't get her voter card until just after the election.
And all that worrying about Kim and Wayne not finding there voter registration cards, they didn't look at them at all this time, just our driver licenses. lol