Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Beach

Jim, Jacob, Adam, and I met Jean and Jenna at the beach in Galveston today. The weather was perfect - in the upper 80s and a bit overcast, which was good because when the sun is out full force I tend to whine about the sizzling heat. The water in the Gulf of Mexico is at the highest temperature that it typically gets to all year - 87°. It was great to be able to wade comfortably right into the ocean, and it feels so different from the shocking cold of Lake Superior's summertime 60° water temps. The wind was blasting along at around 15 mph today, and that made for some fun waves to bob around in. We all had a wonderful time, and, in my opinion, one of the biggest advantages of living in Houston is the close proximity to the Gulf. (But, don't quote me on that if a hurricane happens to head this way . . .)

Jacob, Adam, Jean, and Jenna frolicked in the swells. They are the ones on the right - I really need a better zoom lens on my camera!

1 comment:

Cousin Dave said...

If the water temp was 60 degrees, you were probably at Small Traverse, one of the warmest water beaches in the Copper Country!