Thursday, July 29, 2010

More Surprises

On Sunday, Jim and I were emptying the last of the cupboards & closets at our house. We were placing junk into "throw away" piles and treasures into "keep" piles. Things were looking quite unkempt when my phone rang. It was our realtor's office informing us that an agent would be bringing a client to the house for a showing in nine minutes.

Say what?!

I glanced at the clutter sitting all over the floors and countertops, and asked exactly when our house had gone back on the market. Apparently our realtor had re-listed the home, but failed to let us in on this news. Ugh. Jim and I quickly tossed everything back into cupboards & closets and left. In the days since then, we have had quite a few showings, received numerous positive comments, and have been told that a written offer is on the way. So much for houses selling better with furniture in them! We should have moved our stuff out months ago.

Now, if only we could teach real estate agents to actually lock the doors after they show our house, we would be all set. One agent left all of our doors - including the doorwalls - wide open. We have always found it humorous when potential buyers have left on all the lights, rifled through drawers, and obviously used our toilets. Today a realtor turned our air conditioning down to 64 degrees and the house was absolutely freezing when I went over to check on it later! In our search for a home and a condo over this past year we have looked at scores of dwellings, yet we have never found it necessary to change someone's thermostat setting. Strange.

Our condo is still in a state of disarray, but I am ever-so-slowly chipping away at the piles of things that have followed us from the house. I bought some begonias and impatiens to put out front, so if I keep the garage door closed, the exterior of the place looks fairly decent.

This is our neighbor's pesky cat, Madison, who would not go away the whole time I was planting my flowers at the condo. She was friendly and affectionate (ick), and was not the least bit intimidated by my hissing and foot stomping.

No comments: