Saturday, December 5, 2009

Someone Messed with Texas

Jim, Jacob, and I arrived in Houston last night. We had heard dire warnings all day about a rare snowstorm ravaging southern Texas. I must admit that I was a bit disappointed to find only a dusting of the white stuff when we pulled into the driveway around 7:30 p.m. To be fair to the forecasters, there was quite a bit more snow south of the city - over 2 and 3 inches in some places. It was definitely cold in our house, though. In fact, the entire Houston area was under a freeze warning. We had to leave our pool filter running all night so the pipes wouldn't ice up and burst - which is something we never thought we would have to think about in our subtropical home. We put on the heat in the house, and fell asleep listening to the hum of all the pool filters in the neighborhood working overtime. The temperatures are supposed to warm back up to normal (65-ish) in the next day or two, and even reach 70 or above on Tuesday. We will enjoy the balmy weather here, then head back to Michigan to frolic in the snow that is predicted to fall there soon.
Jake in the backyard, posing next to a slush-covered chair and a tropical plant.

As soon as we arrived at our house, I rushed to check on my banana tree. It had a bit of snow on it, but seemed ok otherwise.

This morning the banana tree was droopy and brownish. Curse those below-freezing temperatures!

9 comments:

Adam said...

The poor banana tree! I hope it's still alive enough to perk back up once things get warmer!

Joe Bananas said...

I like bananas 'cause they have no bones!

LINDA said...

Yes, we have no bananas.

Eric said...

I wouldn't think that freezing weather would be an issue with a saline pool. Weird. I'm sure a pool-owner like yourself would know better than me, a guy with a bathtub and a dream.

Also, "Yes, we have no bananas" actually made me LOL. Loud. Annie witnessed it.

LINDA said...

Well, we just did what our pool guy told us to do, and he does know that the pool is saline. With all of the exposed pipes, the pump, and the filter out in the open, we decided it was better to be safe than sorry. I'm sure that stuff would be expensive to replace! I did wonder about the saline issue myself, but what do I know? We will further question the pool guy when we see him next.

Joe Bananas said...

Your rationale has "a-peel!"

LINDA said...

Yep, I am not monkeying around.

Anonymous said...

Well, did the banana tree make a comeback?

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool pix...I heard you guys where driving, & I was worried when I heard all of the snow TX area was getting...We thought we were to get snow soon too, crazy...But we're just now getting...finally sticking to the driveway...
Carol