Friday, September 19, 2008

Genealogy 101

Next month, we are traveling to San Francisco to attend the wedding of my cousin’s daughter. Jenny, the bride, is my first cousin, once removed. She is a second cousin to Adam and Jacob. Jenny’s father, Dave, is my first cousin, but for simplicity sake – and Lord knows I like things simple – I just think of us all as cousins. The wedding sounds as if it is going to be fabulous and Jenny will make an absolutely stunning bride! We are all looking forward to being there for the big day.

Dave, the father of the bride, is a great guy who we do not see nearly as often as we would like. We rendezvoused with him when we were in the U.P. in July, as he travels there annually. The boys and I visited California two years ago and spent some time with Dave then. He gave us quite a grand tour of his hometown and the surrounding environs, and, believe me, it is a gorgeous area. Check out his city’s website –
http://www.newark.org. Oh, did I mention that Dave is also the mayor of his city, and has been for 30 years or so? He is the longest-standing mayor in California and one of the longest-serving in the country! (Kwame, can you hear me?) I will be sure to take lots of pictures when we are in the Bay area so you can see for yourselves how pretty it is out there.

No comments: