Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chopstick Challenge

Tonight I ate at a Chinese restaurant for the very first time. Jacob and I met up with Richie, Steve, Nancy, Laura, and Rob at "New Peking" to celebrate Steve's upcoming birthday. Apparently Steve is no stranger at the establishment because as soon as we waltzed through the door, the hostess and several waitresses called out "Steve!" (Yep, just like when everyone shouted "Norm" on Cheers.) After perusing the 8-page menu, I chose to order the safe-sounding entree of Chicken Fried Rice. It was surprisingly yummy and the portion size of the meal was enormous. I only managed to finish about one third of my dinner so I have a ready-made lunch for tomorrow. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we tried, Jacob and I could not master the art of using chopsticks. With practice, however, I'm certain that I will be able to properly utilize them the next time I eat Chinese food. It definitely adds a fun spin to the dining experience when you are expected to lift your food with two thin, tapered, wand-like pieces of wood. I'm already eager to try again.

Jacob poked around with his chopsticks, but was unsuccessful at ever transferring any food into his mouth.

No comments: