Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Six Months

What began as a delightful spring in Houston has turned into a downright unpleasant summer. Rainfall has been well below average and temperatures have been far above normal for a very long time. Here is my month-by-month synopsis of the past half year at our Texas house.

March - Temps were lovely, 60s and 70s. Neighbors turned on their air conditioners, even though it was absolutely perfect weather for opening windows.
April - Warmed up nicely. Pool water jumped into the 80s. Spent lots of time walking, biking, swimming, and working on the yard. Really enjoyed wearing shorts and flip-flops here while it was still below freezing in Michigan.
May - Weather really heated up. Highs in the 90s, humidity climbed. I perspired whenever I left the house, sometimes even inside the house. Became more and more intolerable for outdoor activities.
June - Temps were super hot. Felt sorry for anyone working outdoors in the sizzling heat. I don't know how they managed. Pool water soared to 90 degrees, but it still felt good compared to the 98 degree air.
July - Just sweltering outside. I broke out in a sweat every time I had to walk the few feet from one air conditioned venue to another. Wouldn't even consider making the grueling trek to the street to check the mailbox.
August - Unbelievably miserable. 100 degrees every stinking day. Why anyone chooses to live in this state is beyond me. Too hot to walk or bike ride without risking heat exhaustion. Seriously. Ugh.

Jacob, Jim, and I are all heading back up north soon for Laura's wedding. Summertime in Texas has certainly given me a new appreciation for midwestern weather. I am so used to stepping outside here and feeling as if I am walking into a blast furnace that anything below 90 degrees will seem cool. Remind me of that when I start whining about Michigan's heat and humidity next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're going down in the 50's tonight!

LINDA said...

50s?! Wow, how nice! The low here tonight is going to be 81.