Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fools

On Monday, the Detroit Free Press stopped their daily home delivery. Well, they did not stop completely since we will still get a newspaper on Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays. But the rest of the week we are left with a strange void. We are signed up to receive an electronic edition of the paper on our computer, and I can only say that trying to navigate that has been nothing short of frustrating. Actually, I get most of my news from various internet sources, but I still miss having the Free Press around in the morning. And throughout this entire debacle - which, admittedly is only on day number three - I have discovered that what I am moping about the most is not having the comics at my fingertips! Does anyone know how LuAnn is doing? Or if Gene is going to try to bail out Mary Lou's family? And what about my horoscope? And all of my favorite columnists? Not to mention the puzzles.

The Free Press said that their decision to cut back delivery service was, naturally, an economic one. I think that most people would have paid more to continue the service. I would have. It was not very expensive to begin with. Now, after forty-some years, I will just have to get used to reading my comics online. That's progress, I suppose.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't find the puzzles on line. Also I called the freep because my new 3 day delivery costs more than the old 7 day. Go figure! The ladysaid I had a special rate before???

LINDA said...

I did find the puzzles on Monday, but was unable to print them. Haven't looked for them since. How much is your subscription? We pay $11 per month for the 3 day delivery, plus $1 additional for the online edition. Total is $12 per month.

Anonymous said...

I recently talked w/Jas & Wayne about subscribing to the Free Press, because I too miss having a it to read in front of me.

But Jason said, why he reads his for free online, and it would be waste of money.

Why would you have to pay for online edition...We do read for free.

LINDA said...

The online edition at Freep.com that Jason reads is totally different from the new-fangled electronic edition. I don't like the new e-edition, but we will keep it since it is only $1 per month.